With the New Year upon us, it’s time for some lighter, healthier dishes…well, at least for a few weeks 🙂 After countless failures, I’ve decide not to make any New Year’s resolutions. Sure, I have some plans for 2016. I would like to find more time for sharing with you all things food here on the blog and remember I need to take a picture of my food creations before it’s all eaten! Being a beginning blogger, this has been a real struggle…and believe me, with half a steak or one last piece of sushi on the plate, it’s hard to take a decent photo!
Anyway, although losing weight is not my New Year’s resolution, I’m stuffed after Christmas and starting the year with some lighter dishes…like this carrot soup.
What I love about carrot (and vegetable soups in general) that there is a space for creativity and loads of different twists on the same simple recipe. I love to upgrade my carrot soup with curry spices, coriander, chilli, fresh orange juice, parsnip, soured cream….there are endless options! Last night it was paprika & chilli and for that little bit of a special kick I add a drizzle of chilli pepper olive oil from The Gift of Oil.
RECIPE: Carrot Soup
- 1kg carrots (peeled)
- 1 onion (peeled and quartered)
- 30g of butter
- chopped coriander (optional)
- chilli powder (optional)
- paprika (optional)
- Chilli Pepper Infused Olive Oil (optional)
- Cut the peeled carrots into chunky pieces, add onion and place into a big pan.
- Add cold water to cover all carrots, add salt and bring to boil. When the water starts boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for about 20-25 mins (or until carrots are tender).
- Carefully pour some of the boiling water out of the pan, leaving all carrots and onion inside.
- Add butter and blend with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Mix in all spices, leave some fresh coriander for serving.
- Drizzle with olive oil and dress with fresh coriander.