Happy Chinese New Year! What a great occasion for an Asian cuisine inspired dish. Something like ramen, but not really ramen…cause I wasn’t following any recipe! 🙂 Do you stick to recipes when you’re cooking or are you more of a improvisation type of cook?
I buy loads of cooking magazines and collect cookbooks. Every time I travel abroad, to a place I haven’t been before, I try to find a cookbook with recipes traditional for the country or region. Although my collection is extensive and very often I browse through the recipes, I never follow the instructions exactly (baking is the only exception).
I have found some recipes online for ramen, but again, it’s Asian cuisine and I love to play with all the Asian flavours. So I got the ingredients I like and started cooking….
RECIPE: Ramen kind of dish
- 750g pork ribs
- Onion (peeled)
- Ramen noodles (I used vermicelli this time tho :))
- Vegetable (I used fresh baby corns, Asian broccoli and snow pea)
- 1 small can beansprouts (drained)
- 1 piece of ginger (peeled and chopped into chunky pieces)
- Lemongrass (cut in half, but not till the end, so it stay as one piece)
- Chilli peppers
- Spring onion
- Fish sauce
- Soy sauce
- Eggs (1 per portion)
- Place the pork ribs into a big pan, together with a whole peeled onion, ginger and lemongrass and fill with cold water
- Place on the hob, bring to boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for at least 1h 30mins
- In a separate bowl cook ramen noodles as per instructions on the package, then drain.
- Steam or quicklu boil all vegetable in water, then drain and run ice cold water over it, to keep fresh colour
- Remove lemongrass, ginger and onion from the broth, season with chilli, fish sauce and soy sauce
- Poach or soft boil the eggs
- Dress plates with noodles, all vegetable, then add hot broth with ribs, add poached egg on the top. Finish with spring onion and chillies